Monday 10 September 2012

Me Before You by Jojo Moyles - an Unforgetable Read

I've just finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, and I don't think that I've ever been moved so much by a story.
Louisa Clark is literally a small town girl who loses her job and goes to work for the Traynor family to help look after their son, Will, who has been injured in a road accident and is now a quadriplegic.
The last book I read by Jojo Moyes was The Last Letter From Your Lover, and in it she got totally into the character of Jennifer Stirling who is struggling in the stifling early 1960s to come to terms with her feelings for another man.
In this book, she is totally into Louisa's character. A girl from a relatively poor home, but full of love, who has to come to terms with a rich, yet undemonstrative family.
I also love Will's character. For example, instead of calling her Louisa, her calls her Clark, rather like Daniel Cleaver in Bridget Jones's Diary. A really nice touch.
Of course,  I've been reading this whilst the Paralympics have been on which has made the story all the more  poignant.
I can't go into it too much here, but can only say, read it as soon as you can.  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, Jean, as I've heard a few friends say how much they loved this book - a definite must for my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's one of those books that you need to read with a good box of tissues to hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Jo gave a really honest and inspiring speech about her journey into publication at the York Writers Festival I attended at the weekend. Lots of people were talking about this book in particular and saying how much they enjoyed it. Unfortunately I couldn't fit any of her books into my case but will definitely be purchasing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vikki, I wish I'd been there. I shall have to catch up with her another time!

    ReplyDelete