Saturday 3 March 2012

Writing, Actually, Is All You Need!

Do you remember that I said for my New Year Resolution I would write at least 500 words a day so I could finish the novel I started in 2008?
Well - after two months, I've actually begun!
I must admit that I'd been nervous about beginning again, but I feel better now that by editing the first three chapters that I wrote four years ago (!), I'm now 4,500 words in. That's a good start.
To do this, I've read through and edited the character charts for each, well, character. It's enabled me to get to know them all again and think up some more scenarios for the story.
The novel is set in the First World War, and so I've read through a lot of the research that I did before, and will dip into it again as I need it.
Writing has actually helped me to see how things will develop. I already had a good idea of where I wanted the story to go, but I'm beginning to see new possibilities and a new character has introduced himself too!
I think that the longer that I put it off, the worse I felt, even though I have been promoting Gipsy Moth, and have managed to find lots of other distractions.
Have you picked up a novel and started again after a period of time?

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you've got back into the novel, Jean. I'm afraid I have too many which are started and not finished! But I am trying to complete the one that's standing at 50,000 plus. I think I'm going to have to go back to the beginning first, though, and sort it out as I've lost the plot along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! I found that going through it again, I looked at it with new eyes. Well, that's what they say you should do anyway. And it worked! You just have to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your novel, Jean. I've recently returned to a novel I started to write about 7 years ago! (I got to 40,000 words) I think it sometimes does help giving yourself a bit of distance from work (maybe not quite as much distance as I gave it) and as you say returning to look at it with new eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for getting back into your novel, Jean! I have a few WIPs I have started, some I will never go back to but others I may in future. I have recently realised I need to focus on one at a time from concept to completion now so that is what I am doing from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a YA novel that I need to work on at some point.

    I have passed on an award to you over at my blog

    ReplyDelete