Friday 25 February 2011

The Books Beside My Bed


I have got five books beside my bed waiting to be read:
I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson, The Postmistress by Sarah Blake , Spencer's Mountain by Earl Hamner Jr, A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French and Parky's People by none other than Michael Parkinson.
I've been dying to get round to the Allison Pearson one, firstly because I enjoyed I Don't Know How She Does It so much. I was hooked as soon as Kate distressed her Sainsbury's mince pies with a rolling pin to make them look as if they were home made! This book is about a young girl obsessed by David Cassidy. I loved The Partridge Family. Each week they would meet a new person on their travels, solve their problem and sing a song. Wonderful!
I chose The Postmistress simply because the cover caught my eye and the blurb looked interesting. It's about three women whose lives change forever one night during the war.
Spencer's Mountain is the foundation for another favourite TV show of the seventies: Walton's Mountain. On a recent trip to Washington, we drove out to Schuyler and found the Walton's Mountain Museum set up in the old elementary school. It had homespun displays and hospitality, but it was worth it. I felt as if John-Boy was going to rush in, pushing his glasses up his nose at any moment.
I picked up A Tiny Bit Marvellous at the airport. I love those offers in WHSmith: two books for £20. And even though they are more expensive than a normal paperback, you can often get them in this inbetween format before they come out in the cheaper paperback size. But as I've had this one since November, it probably has already been released!
Lastly, Parky's People. I usually only have hardbacks for Christmas. I wanted this one to recapture his iconic interviews with Hollywood stars such as Fred Astaire.
I'll let you know what I thought of them another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment